For blogging out loud))it seems that the UN, the voice of the world has its eyes closed, its ears plugged, cannot feel the nudge of people being slaughtered over and over. But maybe I don’t understand its purpose, so lets take a look at what they say…
- To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;
- To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;
- To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion; and
- To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
I live in New York City, and I love the idea of the UN being here. It can be annoying with the extra traffic, however its once a year and I don’t drive around, I walk.
The General Assembly’s regular session begins each year on a Tuesday, on the third week of September, counting from the first week that contains at least one working day. Its a cool time, everyone from around the world comes here to help us keep things under control.
You can’t believe how many law enforcement people we have, its amazing. I usually smile to let them know that I really appreciate what these guys/gals do. However, I finally just last week walked through a group of them and turned to say “Thanks guys for everything you always do” some said thanks others nodded. What a pitiful sentence for their work. But I’m a shy type and I didn’t want to not recognize their work. Gotta think of a great one liner thats appropriate, if there is one.
The UN’s charter is fairly detailed it seems like they have every country in the world doing something, chapter after chapter covers everything you can think of.
Here’s a couple of highlights from the General Assembly on September 19, 2014.
2. Minute of silent prayer or meditation.
10. Implementation of the Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS and the Political Declarations on HIV/AIDS.
11. Sport for development and peace.
32. Prevention of armed conflict.
35. The situation in the Middle East.
64. Promotion and protection of the rights of children
74b. Sustainable fisheries
87. Reduction of military budgets.
94. Prevention of an arms race in outer space
96cc. Nuclear disarmament
Now I am so not a UN specialist and I would love to have myself corrected where I am wrong here. However I believe they are missing something in their charter. Now when I say the UN, I assume that I am talking to all of the countries that are listed as being a partner in the goal of having a better world.
Something that we can look up to, similar to the Olympics, oh how I love that, all the world just competing and cheering each other on for sport.
Ok, forget about 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, or eleven Israeli Olympic team members, who were taken hostage and eventually killed, along with a German police officer, by the Palestinian group Black September. And any rather large masculine looking women or possible underage children competing. For it is the worlds time to shine.
Now back to missing chapters. I would like to re-order the list and have this be in the #1 chapter.
- Anywhere in the world where people are being sold, raped, killed, burned, beheaded, and especially when it involves children and certainly not to limit the atrocities man does to man, we will have our UN troops IMMEDIATELY respond and try to save them. It doesn’t matter if it is a country or terrorists. We will not wait till we talk to everyone and have them sign off on it, as if we are approving an advertising budget to promote our new product. We will not worry about the political polls and our re-election. It is understood from this time forward that we already agree to stop this madness. Since we all agree this will keep all of these leaders(?) of these countries in line, and of course it leaves them no recourse, for the whole world will come down on them, as if the hand of God is crushing them.
Now this is a rather rough draft, more feeling than grammar, but who cares, does everyone understand me?))
photo credit: copyright © 2015 For Blogging Out Loud))